Tuesday 16 May 2017

Tulip Quilt in progress.

I decided to make my blocks larger and in a combination of low volume black and whites along with blue and white fabrics.  Here are the blocks laid out on my design wall.  This is from the latest Quiltmania magazine and is on the cover .
 Then I added stems which will be stitched between the blocks.
 I then started laying additional stems that will be appliqued down. Some stems will cross over two block heights. At this point I had 7 rows.
 I put up a few flowers and leaves to see how it was looking. The leaves are my design not included in the magazine.
 I decided I wanted one more row to make it 8 and also made it wider. The rows have been sewn into pairs so some of the stems will extend over the seam lines.
 Playing with tulip placements and a few leaves.
 Adding some more leaves.
 The top two rows are finished I think...you never know.  They are not the same length so I can play with how the sewn in stems will stagger down the length.
 A closer view of the tulips from left...
 Centre...the top one will be partially sewn into the binding.
and the right side.
 Now to start on rows 3 and 4.  I'm loving how this is coming together.

5 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I love your quilt, what a fun design. I do enjoy doing wonky blocks and adding appliqué over them.

Debbie

Susan said...

Where ya been? I been missin' ya! I love what you've been doing, though! That is so pretty! I haven't seen the original, but I think it will look bare to me without leaves, having seen yours with all those fabulous leaves and stems and the wonderful tulips.

Susan said...

This is looking lovely... I like th extra leaves etc that you have added.

The little book of Nessie said...

You are doing well with your tulips. It is going to be fabulous when it is finished. Regards, Nessie

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your tulip quilt is gorgeous!! I've enjoyed seeing the progress photos on IG. I'm so hooked on IG now, I remember it was you that helped me get started with your tips and advice, thank you again for that.